The Joint Commission has some great resources on their “Speak Up Initiative“.
Maybe we need one for listening. Here are some thoughts to get us started!
Can you envision it? Posters, badges and buttons that say things like:
- Help us practice our listening skills!
- Nurse Jones, RN, Listening Educator!
- Dr. Smith, MD, Certified Respectful Listener!
- Bill Brown, CEO and Listener Role Model!
- Speak up about your concerns! We want to hear them and we are learning to listen!
- You can help me become a better listener!
ABC Hospital Listening Initiative
Welcome to ABC Hospital! We recognize that listening to our patients and each other is one of the most important things we can do to create a safe culture for your care. Hospitals and doctors’ offices can be strange, noisy, and intimidating places and you might feel vulnerable and sick or worried about someone who is. We know that it can be hard to speak-up about concerns you have. That’s why we’re making it a point to make it as comfortable as possible for you. We really do want to listen!
- Even when we seem to be in a hurry.
- Even when you ask us questions that may take time to answer.
- Even when you remind us to do things that we shouldn’t need to be reminded of (like washing our hands and allergies you may have).
- Even when we look tired, or frustrated.
You don’t HAVE to speak up but we hope you do! And we are working hard to become respectful listeners!
How can you build on this idea? Or what are you and your organization already doing? I’m listening! 🙂